What Are Dark Social Links?
Why Does Dark Social Linking Happen?
Is Dark Social Linking Really A Problem?
- If your business is in personal finance, food and drink, travel, or executive search, it’s likely that more than 70 percent of you social sharing is done through dark social. 70%!!!! Wouldn’t you like to know where that traffic is coming from and how these new website visitors found your site?
- 46% of people 55+ share only via dark social vs the 16 – 34 year old age group, where only 19% share via dark links.
- The majority of click throughs (62%) on dark social shares happen on mobile devices. 38% come from desktops.
If Your Social Links Have Gone To The Dark Side, We Can Help
While you can’t stop dark social sharing completely you can reduce it. Here are a few ways to make dark social work for you.
- Shorten your URLs. This can save you valuable space on social media sites where character space is prime real estate. Link shortening sites like Goo.gl, Bit.ly and Ow.ly also provide valuable tracking information on your clicked and shared links.
- Place Your Sharing Links Carefully. Make the sharing buttons on your website easy to find. If visitors don’t readily see your sharing links their first instinct will be to copy and paste the page’s URL for sharing.
- Use Dark Social Preventative Tools. ShareThis is an amazing tool for preventing your links from going to the dark side. Their sharing buttons allow your visitors to share your content on an extensive variety of platforms and mediums. Yes, it includes all social networks but they also allow shares to email, SMS, whatsapp and other popular messaging applications. No need for your visitors to copy & paste your links to share privately!
Social media changes on a regular basis. Keeping up with that change can be overwhelming and time consuming. Let TBA Marketing help you stay up to date and take the worry out of your marketing strategy! Contact us today to get started, 813-501-2932.